Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Hase-dera sanctuary in Kamakura is wrapped in myths

history channel documentary 2015 The Hase-dera sanctuary in Kamakura is wrapped in myths and legends. One legend specifically applied an impossible to miss interest for me. It is said that in the event that one goes into the sutra store and pivots the complicatedly cut wooden cabinet that houses every one of the sutras for the sanctuary, one can secure all the astuteness that the sutras contain.I entered alone, in exposed feet, and leant my weight against a wooden arm that projected from the shelf, questioning that I could move the monstrous structure. For a brief second, nothing happened and after that gradually, soundlessly, it started to turn. I moved with it, orderly, not knowing whether I was controlling it or it was managing me, for it appeared that I was scarcely touching the wooden handle which had been smoothed and darkened by the touch of endless ministers and pioneers.

The rinzo turned easily on its cone shaped base, impeccably made long prior. The bamboo forest encasing the Kyouzou files cast cool shadows on the floor before me. Towering above, I saw and felt the nearness of many sutras painstakingly wrapped in white fabric. I knew I would never look over their hallowed takes off. However, as I followed concentric circles, I could swear that something of their insight descended.This long-back tune of a Buddhist pioneer flashed up at me in the printed manual for Hase-dera sanctuary. I had climbed Mt. Kannon, investigated the Benten-kutsu hole, respected the choice camphor statue of the eleven-headed Goddess Kannon - but I was all the while sitting tight for an internal ordeal that would change me from a vacationer into a traveler.

And after that I saw the tune and I understood that this minister of old was likewise something of a nonconformist. He doesn't say the hallowed sanctuary and its statues as the objects of his mission. His center is somewhere else. I envisioned him strolling straight past the sanctuary towards the edge of Mt. Kannon, from where he could look out over the waves breaking on Yuigama Beach and past that to the wide span of the narrows. So inebriated was he maybe by the magnificence before him, that every formal dedication were overlooked. I envisioned him neglecting to hear the night petition gongs as he waited to make his song.Somehow this old traveler caught for me the quintessence of journey. He had come to Hase-dera with new eyes thus he could enjoy its excellence and peacefulness. He welcomed us, over the bay of hundreds of years, to see through his eyes, to react to what the Japanese call "sabi" - "the moan existing apart from everything else."

No comments:

Post a Comment